This set is available as a retail item at the Draw Near Designs Marketplace.
If you are interested in bulk orders for a church group, a Sunday School, a homeschooling co-op or a bookstore, kindly CONTACT US. Thank you!
The Holy Eucharist is the central event and highest form of Orthodox worship and the culmination of the service of the Divine Liturgy. Our learning set teaches this fundamental Orthodox concept in a hands-on way, helping the children better understand and actively participate in the service.
This product is an act-out educational resource made out of soft fleece. It has been designed to cover the religious education needs of different ages and levels, so it can be used by younger and older children alike.
It consists of:
– Twenty-one learning pieces.
– A background mat, which can also be used to store the pieces.
Using this educational resource, both young and older children will be exposed to the following Orthodox concepts, practices, and vocabulary:
CONCEPTS and PRACTICES
- Τhe faithful offer the wine and a special kind of bread – the prosphoron – for Holy Communion.
- The priest prepares the offerings in a special way, before the Divine Liturgy begins.
- These offerings will become the Body and Blood of Christ during the Divine Liturgy, with the intervention of the Holy Spirit.
- The prosphoron is stamped with a seal which has a special meaning.
- Only the central part of the prosphoron, the Lamb (Amnos or Host), will become the Body of Christ. The letters on it, ICXC NIKA or IΣΧΣ NIKA (Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά), mean “Jesus Christ Conquers”.
- The priest uses special objects to prepare our offered gifts, such as the Paten, the Chalice and the Asterisc, and the preparation service is called the Proskomide.
Our set can additionally be used by older children to help learn important words related to the preparation of the Holy Gifts, such as Prosphoron, Chalice, Paten, Asterisc, Incense, and more.
This is an educational resource to help teach Orthodox Christian children about the preparation of the Holy Gifts. Please be mindful when using, washing or storing it, since it depicts holy objects, which in real life are treated with reverence. Not suitable for children under three years old.
MAKE-YOUR-OWN LEARNING SET
Below we will demonstrate a very quick and easy way that requires no sewing, and can be done together with the kids. After we cut out all the pieces, we used fabric glue to attach the pocket. An even easier option is to skip using the pocket altogether, and just roll up the pieces inside the background mat for storage.
Cut out all the pieces following the instructions on the fabric.
Spread fabric glue on the edges of the inside of the pocket except the top.
Glue the pocket on the back of the background mat.
Place a heavy object over the glued pocket and let stand for 1-2 hours.
Instead of using the pocket for storage, place the learning pieces on the mat, roll the mat up, and secure with a ribbon.
READY to LEARN!
Please note: Except from the fabric product itself, we do not receive any financial compensation for the external links that we mention in our posts. We are only including them to share our experience and to make it easier for the reader, if interested, to find the products we used.