This set is available for purchase at the Draw Near Designs Marketplace.
What do you mean by “DIY”?
The set comes as one 18′′ x 29′′ piece of soft fleece fabric. The finished set can be made very easily by cutting out the pieces. An optional storage pocket is included, which can be sewn or glued. We are offering detailed tutorials for making each finished set as well as exclusive printable activities for a rich religious education experience.
Our learning set is an act-out educational resource made out of soft fleece. It teaches the Great Feast of Holy Theophany in a hands-on, Orthodox-focused way, helping the children better understand the events and theology of this important celebration.
It consists of:
– Ten learning pieces.
– A background mat, which can also be used to store the pieces.
ORTHODOX CONCEPTS TAUGHT BY THIS SET
Acting out the scene of the Feast, the children will have the chance to get familiar with the story, become exposed to the symbolism of the icon, and internalize the following concepts and facts:
- Saint John the Baptist or Forerunner was the son of Elizabeth and Zacharias, and our Lord’s second cousin – as the Theotokos was, according to the Gospel, Elizabeth’s first cousin.
- When his parents died, John went to live ascetically in the desert.
- He became a Prophet, calling people to repent because Christ would come soon. Many people repented, confessed their sins and John baptized them in the River Jordan.
- When Jesus became 30 years old, He went to the desert and asked John to baptize Him.
- While Christ was coming up from the water, the heavens opened suddenly, and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove. The voice of God the Father came from heaven and said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”
- John realized that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God Who came to save us from sin and death.
- At Theophany, Christ established the Sacrament of Baptism, during which we are re-born into Christ.
- As Jesus blessed the waters on the day of His Baptism, the Church offers us the service of the Blessing of the Waters, to help cleanse and protect our bodies and souls from sin – as long as we are willingly making an effort to be obedient to the will of God.
This is an educational resource to help teach Orthodox Christian children. Please be mindful when using, washing or storing it, since it depicts holy objects and images inspired by icons, which in real life are treated with reverence. The finished item is not suitable for children under three years old and should be used with adult supervision.
MAKE-YOUR-OWN LEARNING SET
Making your own learning set is a very easy DIY project. The preparation mostly involves cutting the pieces, all the instructions are printed on the fabric, and, depending on your preference, there is very little or no sewing required.
For a detailed tutorial on how to make our fabric learning sets, please click the button below.
HOW TO STORE THE FINISHED SET
To store the pieces, place them inside the pocket. Roll the pocket inside the rest of the mat. Secure with a ribbon.
Place the learning pieces on the mat, roll the mat up, and secure with a ribbon.