THANK YOU for your interest in our Great Lent Craft Kit! We are very excited to be taking this Christ-centered creative journey together with you. Please scroll down for a tutorial on how to make this week’s craft and for additional teaching resources.
If you would like to download this crafting tutorial as a PDF file, please click on the button below.
HOW TO MAKE THIS WEEK’S CRAFT
This craft is a replica of an icon corner stand, complete with an icon of Christ and a vigil lamp.
You will need:
- The relevant crafting templates, from our Great Lent Craft Kit.
- Scissors and glue. Double-sided tape can be very handy but is not required.
- A ruler and a blunt kitchen knife are optional: they can help fold the templates very neatly.
- Additional decorating materials such as golden sequins, glitter, and crafting jewels are also optional: after completing the craft as shown in this tutorial, the child can decorate the icon all around and also the icon stand.
- Another optional item is an LED votive candle. Instead of using the paper flame, you can wrap the vigil lamp template around the votive candle. Lighting it up will definitely make an impression!
Make the icon stand:
Cut out the template shapes.
Snip the back template at the solid white line.
Fold the templates at the dashed lines. To fold them more neatly, you can first score them using the ruler and the blunt kitchen knife.
Glue the front of the icon stand to the back as shown.
Make the vigil lamp:
Fold the flame and the flame base as shown. Glue the flame onto the flame base.
Wrap the vigil lamp template around the flame, gluing it in place. Even though glue works, double-sided tape is especially handy for this step.
Glue the vigil lamp template around an LED votive candle.
The craft is designed to look pretty just as it is. However, if you wish, you can further embellish it with additional materials of your choice.