This set is available as a retail item at the following online stores:
If you are interested in bulk orders for a church group, a Sunday School, a homeschooling co-op or a bookstore, kindly CONTACT US. Thank you!
What do you mean by “DIY”?
The set comes as one 18′′ x 29′′ piece of soft fleece fabric. The finished set can be made very easily by cutting out the pieces. An optional storage pocket is included, which can be sewn or glued. We are offering detailed tutorials for making each finished set as well as exclusive printable activities for a rich religious education experience.
ALREADY OWN THE SET?
PLEASE CLICK HERE
for the BONUS printable activities
Board game – Play dough mat – Word puzzles – Jigsaw puzzle
Our fabric learning sets were originally developed in collaboration with St. Tabitha’s Workshop, an online fabric and fabric item store specializing in Orthodox Christian products.
Our learning set is an act-out educational resource made out of soft fleece. It teaches the Nativity of Christ in a hands-on, Orthodox-focused way, helping the children better understand the events and theology of this Great Feast.
It consists of:
– Eleven learning pieces.
– A background mat, which can also be used to store the pieces.
ORTHODOX CONCEPTS TAUGHT BY THIS SET
Using this learning set, the children will be exposed to the Orthodox icon of the Nativity of Christ and its various storytelling layers. Acting out the different scenes, they will have the chance to get familiar with the following Orthodox concepts:
- According to Orthodoxy, through the Incarnation of God the whole of creation acquired new meaning and potential.
- At the Nativity, representatives of the whole created world gave thanks to God by offering something to the newborn Christ.
- The icon and Kontakion of the Nativity both tell the story of Christ’s birth.
- The two are closely connected – the icon visually represents what is verbally described in the Kontakion.
- In the icon, we observe a variety of scenes that seem to occur at the same time but, in reality, happened at separate times.
- Every object in the icon has deep theological meaning and all elements have a scriptural reference from the Bible and the Holy Tradition.
Free Lesson Plan
For a lesson plan and additional Nativity activities please visit our page:
The Nativity of Christ: Our resource collection.
This is an educational resource to help teach Orthodox Christian children. Please be mindful when using, washing or storing it, since it depicts holy objects and images inspired by icons, which in real life are treated with reverence. Finished item not suitable for children under three years old.
MAKE-YOUR-OWN LEARNING SET
For a detailed tutorial on how to make our fabric learning sets, please click the button below.
HOW TO STORE THE FINISHED SET
To store the pieces, place them inside the pocket. Roll the pocket inside the rest of the mat. Secure with a ribbon.
Place the learning pieces on the mat, roll the mat up, and secure with a ribbon.