This set is available as a retail item at the Draw Near Designs Marketplace.
If you are interested in bulk orders for a church group, a Sunday School, a homeschooling co-op or a bookstore, kindly CONTACT US. Thank you!
What do you mean by “DIY”?
The set comes as one 18′′ x 29′′ piece of soft fleece fabric. The finished set can be made very easily by cutting out the pieces. An optional storage pocket is included, which can be sewn or glued. We are offering detailed tutorials for making each finished set as well as exclusive printable activities for a rich religious education experience.
Our learning set is an act-out educational resource made out of soft fleece. It teaches Pascha stories and traditions in a hands-on, Orthodox-focused way.
It consists of:
– Nineteen learning pieces.
– A background mat, which can also be used to store the pieces.
ORTHODOX CONCEPTS TAUGHT BY THIS SET
Using this set the children will be exposed to the following Orthodox Pascha traditions, practices, and concepts:
TRADITIONS and PRACTICES
- Placing the Epitaphios inside the Sepulcher and decorating it with flowers.
- Offering flower wreaths to the Crucified Christ.
- Lighting the Pascha candle.
- Key phrases from Orthodox Pascha hymnology.
- Important Pascha icons: “Extreme Humility”, Epitaphios, “He is not here”, “Touch me not”.
SCENES and CONCEPTS
- The Crucifixion and Burial.
- The Theotokos’ Lament.
- The angel showing the empty Tomb to the Myrrh Bearers.
- The Resurrected Christ appearing to St. Mary Magdalene.
- The Resurrected Christ usually shown in white/golden colors and surrounded by a mandorla.
- The Tomb in Orthodox iconography looking like a box – just like Christ’s manger in the icons of His Nativity.
This is an educational resource to help teach Orthodox Christian children. Please be mindful when using, washing or storing it, since it depicts holy objects and images inspired by icons, which in real life are treated with reverence. Finished item not suitable for children under three years old.
MAKE-YOUR-OWN LEARNING SET
Making your own learning set is a very easy DIY project. The preparation mostly involves cutting the pieces, all the instructions are printed on the fabric, and, depending on your preference, there is very little or no sewing required.
For a detailed tutorial on how to make our fabric learning sets, please click on the button below.
HOW TO STORE THE FINISHED SET
Place the pieces inside the pocket. Roll the pocket inside the rest of the mat. Secure with a ribbon.
Place the learning pieces on the mat, roll the mat up, and secure with a ribbon.
READY to LEARN!
Exploring the scenes
Our Lord is crucified. We offer flower wreaths to honor Him.
Our Lord is buried. The Theotokos is very sad… We place the Epitaphios inside the Sepulcher and decorate it with flowers.
Our Lord is risen from the dead! The angel lets us know that He is not in the Tomb anymore. Let’s light our Pascha candle!
The Risen Lord appears to St. Mary Magdalene. He tells her, “Touch me not!”
Special thanks to Presbytera Destinie of Ascetic Life of Motherhood for exploring the set with her sweet little children and sharing wonderful photos with us.